harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm/classlib/jdktools] system property o.a.h.boot.class.path
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:30:56 GMT
> (How's that for a category in the subject line?)
>
> I'm working on jdktools, and was getting javac going.  We have a small
> issue.  Currently, the wrapper code grabs the boot class path via the
> system property
>
>     org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path
>
> This is initially set by luni, which collects all the entries in
> bootclasspath.properties and adds them to the path.
>
> Now, the one thing that it doesn't do is include the kernel.jar, as
> that's a degree of freedom for the vm which provides that jar.
>
> Now, in DRLVM, we take the o.a.h.b.c.p and prefix the kernel.jar, prefix
> and postfix -Xbootclasspath/? for a complete runtime bootclasspath, and
> call it
>
>     vm.boot.class.path

Things are changing :) Since recent H-2008 commit, magics support jars
are going to bypass this machinery and slip into boot loader directly
via SetBCPElement().
I'll fix this while integrating properties refactoing submission
(HARMONY-1925), please shout if there are objections.

> I had to modify the javac wrapper to use this rather than o.a.h.b.c.p.
>
> We need to change something - either we can suggest that VMs modify the
> value of o.a.h.b.c.p, or create a new one -  formally declare something
> like
>
>    o.a.h.vm.boot.class.path
>
> as a standard property for this purpose.
>
> I prefer the latter - it keeps it cleaner, and makes it easy to figure
> out what the VM is glomming on.

For me, lesser properties diversity is better. Do we have some
sensible use for o.a.h.b.c.p alone?

> If we agree, I'll do the switch in DRLVM and javac.  There should be no
> changes required elsewhere.

Please hold on DRLVM mods, until I finish with H-1925 (hopefuly today).

--
Alexey