harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r479802 - /harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/util/win/ia32/nt_exception_filter.cpp
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 06:01:27 GMT
Guys, you are right, I was fast and stupid, partially due to personal
time limit.
Still this inspired such an interesting discussion ;)

Really we have a lot of duplication in low-level platform code in
DRLVM, this may become onerous soon enough. BTW, are we interested in
supporting Windows on x86_64? It is listed on [1] but seems nobody
really tests.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Platforms_to_Run_Harmony_Development_Kit_on

2006/11/29, Evgueni Brevnov <evgueni.brevnov@gmail.com>:
> On 11/28/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> > > I like it, except for the preceeding "hy"... also, will this be used by
> > > any part of the system other than the launcher?
> >
> > I don't think it will be used anywhere except for the launcher. It is
> > launcher specific and actually Harmony launcher specific.
>
> On Windows except crash handler you need to change the default
> behaviour of _CrtDbgReport so it doesn't popup debug window. Currently
> it's the VM how changes this behaviour. Do you propose to move this
> functionality into launcher as well?

I think VM needs to be able to handle this even w/o the shared launcher.
Just a side note: grepped drlvm, there are 3(!) identical code
snippets for the same:

    if (!vm_get_boolean_property_value_with_default("vm.assert_dialog"))
    {
        disable_assert_dialogs();
    }

vm/vmcore/src/init/vm_init.cpp:692
vm/interpreter/src/interp_exports.cpp:132
vm/jitrino/src/vm/drl/DrlJITInterface.cpp:92

:)

> > Anyway, if you don't mind, I'll try to change the launcher code to use
> > "launcher.enable.crash.handler" which should be true by default.
>
> How about using -X<option> instead of -D<option>?
I'm going to integrated HARMONY-1925 soon, which introduces
distinction between Java and VM properties as discussed earlier. Then
it should become -XD<option> :)
Regarding the name, why "launcher" prefix? It may be used by VM as
well, as I said above.

--
Alexey