harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti][testing] I want to add JVMTI tests to drlvm commit checks
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 16:48:58 GMT
Gregory,

I observed similar quirks with paths while intergrating kernel tests
into build. AFAIU the "Grand Design" is the following: there are
abstracted targets and isolated component descriptors; build system
iterates through all components and tries to apply given target to
each component. So there are various tricks to stop it running tests
multiple times a-la "recurring inclusion protection" in C headers.
I do not grok how it calculates dependencies though, but it is quite
easy to drive it mad and it starts doing wrong sequence of targets and
picks wrong components etc.
So I just snipped off that fanciful machinery and made simple subant
for "kernel.test" target - see its definition in build/make/build.xml,
and compare with nearby "smoke.test" one.

2006/10/31, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com>:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> >> I don't want to create a huge discussion out of it like most [testing]
> >> discussions become. Just want to know your arguments to create one
> >> more tests category.
> >
> > Because the current frameworks are... wacky.  I can't turn off smoke
> > tests without *recompiling* the test.  The c-unit test rig is kinda
> > cool, but inappropriate.  Maybe kernel could be used.
>
> Ok I see your point. I'll try to create my own tests building and
> running category, maybe if it is good enough we'll transfer smoke tests
> to it in the future.

I agree, better to add separate category as there is certain specific
and building and running JVMTI tests. Indeed kernel tests could be
used as a sample.