harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] APR latest release is 1.2.7, we're using 1.2.6. Should we switch?
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:01:39 GMT
Weldon Washburn wrote:
> After reading an excellent survey (
> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/win32-cv-1.html)on implementing
> posix-style
> condition variables on windowsxp,  its not clear that being dependent on
> any
> external posix-to-win32 wrapper is acceptable for Harmony.  If this
> paper is
> correct, it looks rather tricky to correctly implement condition variables
> on windows.  My take on the whole subject is that Harmony needs to fix
> and/or morph some "condition variable on win32" thingy.  Its OK if the
> "thingy" happens to be APR.  But I would not let APR slow Harmony down.  To
> do condition variables per the paper, the APR code base may change a bunch.
> Its unclear if the APR crowd will want to incorporate such mods.  I lean
> towards dumping APR.

... or just stop pretending we are using apr_thread_cond_t, while in fact
we are using completely different implementation.

I think that patched (rewritten) thread_cond.c can easily be ported
to implement hycond_t directly (besides, currently hycond_t is #defined to be
apr_thread_cond_t).

We do not need to get orthodox about "use APR" or "dump APR",
but instead just use what we need, and do not use what is not suitable.