harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][awt] X11 libs
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:40:04 GMT
Oleg Khaschansky wrote:
> I think we should fix this problem for all libraries loaded with
> dlopen on linux (i.e. for all autogenerated linux native wrappers). As
> far as I recall, this problem already appeared for liblcms and libXmu.
> I'd suggest to wait until we know if we'll have a generator of native
> wrappers in harmony and, probably, fix it instead of making temporary
> fixes in the autogenerated code.

Sun's Java seem to be bundling some libraries with itself like libzip
and libjpeg. But the rest of the libraries like X11, ALSA, probably
other are taken from the system.

I don't think that replacing dynamic linker on the system with out
heuristics is the "right way". It is ld.so which should decide which
library from the system should be linked with, be it
/usr/lib/libXext.so.6 or /usr/lib/libasound.so.2. This means that we
should either bundle in all the required libraries, or use dynamic
linking with the libraries installed in the system.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone who uses Sun Java on a server
that it is necessary to install X11 and ALSA libraries. On most Linux
distributions it happens automatically using package dependencies. So I
am -1 for this approach. Instead I think the wrappers should be changed
to link against X11 dynamic libs directly.

--
Gregory