harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [doc] No Doxygen reference for code :(
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:27:57 GMT
Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> I've noticed that there's no API reference documentation for Harmony
> code - generated by Doxygen/Javadoc.  I guess many will agree that
> having API reference is very useful and convenient.

I've tried to build doxygen documentation for the Thread Manager
component of the DRLVM (i.e. drlvm/vm/thread/src/*.[ch] +
drlvm/vm/include/open/*thr*.h).

I needed to have a Doxyfile and fix a couple of warnings along the way,
please see the patch attached to HARMONY-2351.

However, the generated documentation was of little use to me,
due to the generated documentation treating all structure members
as 'typedef's, while in fact they are just regular struct fields.

> 1.	Ability to generate docs locally from source code as part of
> build - need to change existing build files or write new ones.

After adding Doxyfile to drlvm/vm/thread/doc, one can do following:

    $ cd drlvm/vm/thread/doc
    $ doxygen

then browse drlvm/vm/thread/doc/html/index.html

> 2.	Ability to see docs on the website - manually copy a local
> bundle of docs to the website and add a link. Geir has been planning to
> include the website into the next snapshot; supplying ready reference
> with it seem nice.

Judging from the quality of docs generated from thread manager,
we should *not* publish it on a web-site.
The only documentation that may be worth linking is intercomponent header files in:

    drlvm/vm/include/open/