harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Astapchuk <alex.astapc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit][ia-32]register-based fast calling convention
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:44:27 GMT
Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> Thanks for the clarifications Alex.

>> and
>>
>> >Right.
>> >I'm going to implement both - the IA-32 fastcall and introduce another
>> >one convention.
>> >The fastcall is indeed *primarily targeted* to C-based helpers - this is
>> >most easy way to declare a function as '__fastcall' and let compiler do
>> >the rest of job.
>

> I see, so complete __fastcall support then...return in EDX:EAX , preserve
> EDI, ESI, EBP, EBX etc. and leave it to the compiler, makes sense.
>
>> Despite of its target, the fastcall still can be used for managed code
>> >if we find it productive.
>
>> The reason behind the 'custom' convention is that I'm going to make it
>> >tunable - to see how it fits into different workloads.
>>
>> >The parameters that I'm going to make changeable are: number of GP
>> >registers for args, number of XMM registers for args, number of
>> >callee-save XMMs.
>

> Tunable only during experimentation, or expose a tunable knob and/or
> multiple annotation choices? One thing to remember is that the existing

I was thinking about command-line switches, to set the parameters.

Annotations might be next or even parallel step, but slightly unrelated
to this particular implementation: currently there is no way to guess
which calling convention is used by a VM helper except of looking
through the source code. We already had come mess with it in the past,
and we may expect more in the future. I suppose the Mikhail's work on
helper's framework will help us to address the helpers info issue.

> compiler calling conventions have been arrived at in almost exactly the
> same
> way....trying various options across a broad range of applications and
> choosing the best ones. So some of this work has been done upfront for us.

Right.
Though the fastcall (together with sdtcall/cdecl) were introduced before
the Java grew in its popularity and long before the SSE came to the market.
So they may fit well for most apps, while we could find even a better
fit for our particular needs.

--
Thanks,
   Alex