harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r477149 - in /harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/make: targets/kernel.test.xml test.properties
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:39:49 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Alexey Varlamov wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've just did a little step in improving pre-commit testing for DRLVM;
>> most important change is a move from "perTest" forking mode to "once"
>> (aka sameVM mode).
>> This reduces testing time drastically (~50%), but may introduce some
>> extra instability (like new intermittent failures or timeouts).
>
> Plus the inability to figure out what's screwing things up.
>
> I can't decide if I like this.  On one hand, I like it because it's
> actually better to find side-effects - some test can pass, but still
> leave the VM in a broken state that another test will show.

I think the change has a good intension but it should've gone through
more testing. Preferably the fixes for problems on windows should've
been included into the patch. If the problems are too hard to fix, why
not open a discussion before changing the files in SVN?

> OTOH, it does remove the clarity of each test being a single, separate
> test.  It conceptually mixes integration testing with unit testing.
>
> Can you please just add a switch?  That way in the event of a failure,
> we can re-run with forking on, and therefore can tell if the crash is
> specifically due to the test that is crashing, or a side effect caused
> by something that came before.

I would also like a switch. I don't like it that a change which
knowingly introduces problems with acceptance tests is committed without
discussion. Should we discard kernel tests from drlvm commits until they
are fixed? I think that there was an agreement about no regression. So
now all commits to drlvm are blocked.

--
Gregory