harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r475473 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/tests/smoke/StackTest.java
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:54:09 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> I still think that this is bogus....
>>>
>>> What if SOE machinery is broken?
>>  >
>>> We need to make this a predictable test.
>>
>> Well I don't feel strongly to either side. We can use ulimit -s in
>> build.sh script which runs tests (maybe only in case it runs tests).
>
> Meaning you are just as happy if it's *not* a predictable test?

Not very [1]. I just wanted to make this test to pass in a predictable
way on "normal" distributions which do have stack limit for
applications, and at least not to misbehave on distributions that don't
have this default setting.

The fix is still quite questionable either way. In theory an optimizing
JIT may inline all of the 10000000 recursions into adding 10000000 to
the depth with no calls to function, which will produce no SOE.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.harmony.devel/18773
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.harmony.devel/18841

--
Gregory