harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [x86_64] builds! now onto the tests
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:22:14 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I'm happy to report that both classlib and drlvm at r474892 build on
> x86_64/em64t
>
> As Gregory suggested, I had to change the symlinks to from
> /usr/lib/lib(jpeg|png).a to /usr/lib/lib(jpeg|png).so in order for the
> link to avoid complaining.

Well Geir insists that we should know what we are linking against, so he
prefers static libraries. I don't like it very much (it is contrary to
Gentoo way :) which is to link against anything which is installed on
the system by the user) but I can understand this POV.

The problem is that on many distributions static libs are built without
-fPIC and while on x86 it may still work ok, on x86_64 it definitely
doesn't work. So if we decide that we should use static linking we'll
have to check in prebuilt the binaries into classlib source tree just
like we did with ICU (although ICU libraries are dynamic, not shared). I
see no other way to do static linking.

--
Gregory