harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] vote on class unloading design (was Class unloading support - tested one approach)
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:19:32 GMT
Aleksey Ignatenko wrote:
> Actually there is one additional 4-th approach:
>
> *Mark and scan based approach *wich I described in the first letter. Java
> heap trace is performed by VM Core and GC is not affected at all.
>
> So the list is:
> 1. vtable objects( Aleksey )
> 2. per heap space/generation boolean marker on the classloader instance(
> Etienne )
> 3. class reachability marker byte in vtable (Robin )
> 4. Mark and scan based approach.
>
> I agree that we need to structure all appraches somehow, like description
> for every approach in wiki.

I've started a wiki page http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassUnloading
to summarize all discussed approaches. I hope we will eventually come
up with the detailed end-to-end design description.

I'm going now to fill in all ideas that I can pick up from the discussion,
but I encourage all interested parties to review and correct if I get
something incorrectly.