harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] release vs. debug
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:23:03 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>> Hi DRLVM fans,
>>
>> I encountered a rather strange problem while working on some class
>> library tests. At least two tests from the beans module hang (or
>> crash) while running on DRLVM debug builds but work fine on DRLVM
>> release builds. I thought that debug build is something about adding
>> debug symbols to VM binaries and this should not affect the
>> functionality. Can someone shed a light on this?
>
> I would think it's just an assertion firing...

Actually it is more than that. In debug mode TRACE statements are
compiled and therefore produce executable code. There may also be some
bugs in compiler generating code in different modes (although this
usually happens for release).

I don't know why hanging happens, but the difference in generated code
is actually quite big. Also assertions or any crashes go to
exceptions/signal handlers which may happen to loop infinitely, there
were bugs like this happening on the current version of sources, look at
HARMONY-2018 and HADMONY-2006.

>> This is the first
>> question. The second question - what we should do with such tests. The
>> tests pass on the downloadable HDK and JRE snapshots as well as on
>> classlib + j9. What should be the commit criteria for DRLVM – i.e.
>> what is the *true* build? :) I think many people here currently use
>> snapshots to test their patches.
>
> debug :)  don't sweep the problems under the rug...

+1

--
Gregory