harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Class unloading support - tested one approach
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:07:33 GMT

Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> I may have missed it, but I only recall you argued that we just need
> to collect mature space for the *final unloading* as CL and classes
> are unlikely to die young, which I agree. But chances that a live
> object of a candidate class appeared in the nursery are higher.
> Otherwise I just do not grok how this algorithm can be proven for
> correctness.

Alexey,

it looks like what you are thinking about is *concurrent* collector,
and concurrent garbage collections brings substantial complexity
even without class unloading.

However, the design we were discussing was for *stop-the-world* garbage
collectors, because this is the only thing currently supported by DRLVM,
and all existing GCs are stop-the-world.

So, the correctness of unloading algorithm can easily be proved if we consider
that the "final unloading" collection is a full heap collection,
i.e. both nursery and mature space is collected.

I have another concern though:
just before starting "final unloading" collection, we scan vtable marks and identify
the candidates for unloading. During the "final unloading" collection, the
candidate classloader roots are reported as week. At the end of the trace,
we need to rescan vtable marks and "revive" the classloader which were found
in possession of live objects. This techniques is exactly the same as the one
used for object finalization.

However, in contrast with finalization, we will need to repeat reviving
classloaders which have non-0 vtable marks until the process converges, and no
new classloaders are revived. (* in finalization, both dead and live objects in finalization
queue are revived, and thus the revival converges in just 1 step *).