harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Astapchuk <alex.astapc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit] Moving jet to the top level of drlvm...
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:48:46 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Alex Astapchuk wrote:
>> Pavel Pervov wrote:
>>> Hello, community,
>>>
>>> Working through DRLVM sources I (once again) looked at organization of
>>> jitrino code.
>>>
>>> Actually, there are two JITs hidden inside "jitrino": JET and OPT.
>>>
>>> As far as I may observe - these two are code-independent from each
>>> other.
>>>
>>> JIT-guys, could you comment?
>>>
>>> If I'm right here I would vote for moving them to top level of
>>> drlvm/trunk/vm directory to clearly indicate we have two JITs in DRLVM.
>>
>> There are no two JITs, actually. We call them 'compilation paths'.
>> 'jet' here stands for 'Jitrino Express compilation paTh'.
>>
>> As Mikhail already mentioned they share significant parts like
>> logging, PMF, multi-threaded stuff, guard locks, etc.
>>
>> The difference in codebases, came from their targets - the .jet was
>> heavily tuned for very fast compilation, resulting to that many virtual
>> interfaces used in .opt were substituted with direct calls to VM.
>>
>> Personally, I don't see any *practical* reason to separate .jet and .opt.
>>

> The practical reason is to start convincing ourselves of the modularity.

Ugh. 'Modularity' is good word, I like it.
Especially taking into account that no one can measure it. Can you? :-)

Moving jet around will give nothing useful. Neither in a short-term nor
in a longer perspective. But will take an efforts and add a mess and
maybe code duplicate from Jitrino codebase.

Jitrino itself is modular enough - again, the JET was not intended as a
separate JIT. It's only purpose was (and still is) to be a front-line
for Jitrino's main engine - to speed up client apps startup.

Absolutely no reason to have it separately.

--
Thanks,
   Alex