harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Astapchuk <alex.astapc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit] Moving jet to the top level of drlvm...
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 05:59:13 GMT
Pavel Pervov wrote:
> Hello, community,
>
> Working through DRLVM sources I (once again) looked at organization of
> jitrino code.
>
> Actually, there are two JITs hidden inside "jitrino": JET and OPT.
>
> As far as I may observe - these two are code-independent from each other.
>
> JIT-guys, could you comment?
>
> If I'm right here I would vote for moving them to top level of
> drlvm/trunk/vm directory to clearly indicate we have two JITs in DRLVM.

There are no two JITs, actually. We call them 'compilation paths'.
'jet' here stands for 'Jitrino Express compilation paTh'.

As Mikhail already mentioned they share significant parts like
logging, PMF, multi-threaded stuff, guard locks, etc.

The difference in codebases, came from their targets - the .jet was
heavily tuned for very fast compilation, resulting to that many virtual
interfaces used in .opt were substituted with direct calls to VM.

Personally, I don't see any *practical* reason to separate .jet and .opt.

--
Thanks,
   Alex