harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] version of GCC...
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:46:54 GMT
Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x216 day of Apache Harmony Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> did we ever bottom out on what range of GCC we'll support?
>>> I have a patch I want to commit that is known to not compile under
>>> 4.1.1...
>> Hmm no I don't remember such agreement. I think GCC is mostly
>> backwards compatible, and anything that compiles on 4.1.1 should
>> compile on previous versions. So it is better to support the latest
>> stable.
>>
>> Not many people would like to install such GCC version, but someone
>> like me could at least give warnings that the most recent version of
>> GCC doesn't compile some code.
>
> yes, and comment JIRA accordingly (with suggested fix). This way we
> can support a very wide renge of GCCs constantly. I doubt I can use
> the latest GCC soon, so I cannot check patches constantly.

I think you could use 4.1.0 in Fedora Core 5. Since patch level
shouldn't really affect the C++ compilation restrictions, the same patch
should break on 4.1.0 as well.

> Does it make sense to use something CruiseControl-ish that walks
> around JIRA patches and reports statistics which of them build OK? I
> thought of such a tool recently.. Not a task I would dream to
> implement though.

It could be an overkill to check on all possible gcc versions on all
possible distributions and all possible platforms... When someone who
has some problematic platform/distribution/gcc lets us know that
something doesn't compile, it is probably enough.

--
Gregory