harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti][testing] I want to add JVMTI tests to drlvm commit checks
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:31:00 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> Geir
>>
>> I actually was serious. Probably you were confused, I didn't write
>> "build test", I wrote "build smoke.test". The first one works ok, the
>> second doesn't.
>>
>> It happens because "test" (top-level test target) is handled in a
>> different way from "smoke.test" (target just for smoke test category)
>> target in build.xml. The "smoke.test" target just switches default
>> processing target to "smoke.test" and runs "process_components" (which
>> in its turn loops over all components). The "test" special handling of
>> processing components escapes me, I don't quite understand how it
>> works, but it seems to work correctly, without looping.
>
> I've used them both, and targetted smoke for specific use cases (opt, etc)

Hmm you probably know more about VM build than I do since you've been
modifying it for quite some time already. I've just started to look into
the whole thing.

>> The question I was trying to solve was, how to correctly add
>> jvmti.test target to the build.xml so that it would run only jvmti
>> tests but not loop over components, but when "test" target it called,
>> jvmti tests category would be executed along with all other categories.
>>
>> Including "jvmti.test" target into build.xml in the same way as
>> "smoke.test" doesn't make me happy.
>
> Right - I thought you'd start a revolt and do it outside of the "loop
> over test types" system we have now.

Well I am not an ant guru, and the current build system definitely
requires some time to understand. I've tried to copy most of the stuff
from other test ant files to make my own. I think I'll file a JIRA
before committing it to make it possible to discuss it.

> In order to keep this simple, why not just have a separate test target
> for now
>
>     $ sh build.sh test.jvmti
>
> and we can stare at that together, and figure out how to integrate...
> simplest thing would be to rename the current "test" target to
> "test_loop" or something, and then
>
>   <target name="test" depends="test_loop, test.jvmti" />
>
> :)

Hmm good idea, why didn't I think of it myself?... :)

--
Gregory