harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]Harmony classlib with J9 VM passes all the tests provided by JUnit4.1
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 11:38:50 GMT
They are the total test run times and I really feel that harmony launches
slower than RI. It is the most abvious difference not only from the above
result.
I have once tested the performance about net and the result ensures me that
harmony performances almost as good as RI although the test I run cannot be
said a formal performance test.:)

On 11/3/06, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/11/3, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>:
> > More and more good new from day to day :)
> >
> > Thanks, Leo!
> >
> > SY, Alexey
> >
> > 2006/11/3, Leo Li <liyilei1979@gmail.com>:
> > > Hi, all
> > >      I have just tested JUnit4.1 on Harmony.
> > >      With J9 VM, harmony passes both on windows xp2 and redhat
> enterprise
> > > 4.0. While drlvm fails on linux, which fails to create new thread
> becauseof
> > > out-of-memory-error. Since it can always be reproduced, I think
> actually
> > > system doesnot lack memory at the time. So I reported it as an
> > > application-oriented bugs as JIRA [1].
> > >      Besides I have got the time used in these tests which shows there
> is
> > > space for us to improve our performance.
> > >
> > > VM
> > >
> > > Windows xp2
> > >
> > >       Redhat Enterprise4
> > >
> > > RI
> > >
> > > 0.985+0.921
> > >
> > >       0.75+0.717
> > >
> > > J9
> > >
> > > 4.25+2.61
> > >
> > >       2.888+2.897
> > >
> > > drlvm
> > >
> > > 8.437+5.359
> > >
> > >             /
> > >
> > > *The former data represents the time to run junit.tests.AllTests The
> latter,
> > > junit.samples.AllTests.
> > >     For detailed information, including how to run tests, I have
> posted it
> > > on Harmony wiki[2].
> > >

> Looking at this times, I'd say they are mostly about startup time, not
> steady performance per se. I wonder how different these numbers are
> for release vs debug builds - guess Leo used debug versions.
> And surely there are some tricks RI does to achieve this momentary
> startup - as ClassDataSharing or resident-in-memory VM core after very
> first start.
> I eager to anticipate Harmony will compete strongly in this field soon
> enough.
>

> > > [1]http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2060
> > > [2]http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/JUnit
> > > --