harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Evgueni Brevnov" <evgueni.brev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][shutdown] How to cleanup resources safely?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:00:07 GMT

> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> >
> > As it was discussed earlier (and I think agreed) the System.exit()
> > should terminate entire process the VM is running in right after it
> > executed shutdown hooks and finalizes.
>
> I don't think so.  How could you embed the VM in another program?

  My initial understanding was that System.exit() shouldn't terminate
the process. But the experiments proved the opposite. AFAIU if you
want to embed the application then it should not call System.exit().
  I don't see any problems to extend the proposal to the case of
System.exit() so that the process will not be stopped. But, do we want
such incompatibility with RI?

Evgueni