harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Pervov" <pmcfi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] vote on class unloading design (was Class unloading support - tested one approach)
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:36:10 GMT
Really BIG -1 from me.

As Aleksey (Ignatenko) described in original thread, j/l/Class'es and
j/l/ClassLoader's are always available in rootset, so even if no objects
of a class exist, this class will be reachable.

Actually, some sort of class unloading prototype exists in DRLVM code, which
implements the scheme, which is very close to what is currently voted. It
was integrated with GC v4 and is not supported by other GCs. This prototype
traces up to class loader. Robin's approach is way faster then prorotype is.

Unfortunately, that approach requires up to 3 GC cycles to complete in
DRLVM.

BTW, voted approach does not describe "proof-of-full-collection" algorithm
(at least I didn't find one). The only one I think of is
full-heap-collection, which _requires_ STW.

Although "automatic anloading" brings some additional requirements for GC
(weak roots (references) support and pinned allocation), it is proven to
work (patch available) and, also, is the most natural algorithm for DRLVM.

With the best regards,
--
Pavel Pervov,