harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Pervov" <pmcfi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit] Moving jet to the top level of drlvm...
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:24:51 GMT

> Jet is a startup fast compilation path, not a seperate pluggable jit. So,
> while modularity and seperation are important requirements,  they may not
> be
> needed here.

JET can work standalone (-Xem:jet specified), OPT can work standalone
(-Xem:opt), so from "outside" POV they are independent. Also, correct me if
I'm wrong, OPT does not reuse the results of JET compilation when
recompiling methods - it has its own completely independent pipeline.

We have lots of GCs now but we only have one JIT although modularity concept
of DRLVM allows to create different JITs.

Also, Mikhail and Alex are the best people to decide on this.They are
> literally the two people who know this code best :-)

Sure they are. That's why I've asked. They both have opposite POVs though.

--
Pavel Pervov,