harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vm][classlib] hythr library
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:44:19 GMT
2006/11/13, Andrey Chernyshev <a.y.chernyshev@gmail.com>:
> On 11/13/06, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > is there any progress in making possible for IBM and DRL VM to use the
> > same hythr library?
> I imagine they would have to share some more VM internals first, like
> GC or object layout interface, before they can migrate to a common
> threading library :)
>

> > It is really a pain now to run class library tests on DRLVM now. And
> > nearly impossible to easy switch VMs by launcher command line
> > parameters. Since class library builds IBM version of hythr library
> > and rewrites it in jre/bin directory. So you need to copy this library
> What if just disable copying of the hythr.dll into the
> deploy/jre/jdk/bin directory,
> may be harmony-vme could be providing the one?
This will fix only the part of the problem. It will be impossible to
easily switch between different Harmony VMs.

> > from DRL VM after each build. (Yes, I know how to write scripts :)
> >
> > If it is not possible for both VMs to use the same library probably we
> > need to move these libraries to VM directories...
>
> +1.
> Seems like we don't have any VM at the moment which would be really
> using the hythr from classlib. Even IBM VME doesn't use the hythr. As
> Tim wrote earlier, VME is using it's own threading library called
> j9thr23 [1]. Does it differ a much from the hythr?
Is that really so? Tim?

> Guess it might be favourable for the classlib + IBM VME stack as well
> if it was using a single thread library. Would it be possible for VME
> to include a straightforward hythr implementation which can delegate
> hythread_* calls to the j9thr23?
I do not quite understand this approach... :(
How it will look like? We keep hythr library in bin directory and it
forwards the calls to VM specific threading library?

SY, Alexey