harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] General stability
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 07:17:21 GMT
2006/11/4, Weldon Washburn <weldonwjw@gmail.com>:
> Folks,
>
> I have spent the last two months committing patches to the VM.  While we
> have added a ton of much needed functionality, the stability of the system
> has been ignored.  By chance, I looked at thread synchronization design
> problems this week.  Its very apparent that  we lack the regression testing
> to really find threading bugs, test the fixes and test against regression.
> No doubt there are similar problems in other VM subsystems.   "build test"
> is necessary but not sufficient for where we need to go.  In a sense,
> committing code with only "build test" to prevent regression is the
> equivalent to flying in the fog without instrumentation.
>
> So that we can get engineers focused on stability, I am thinking of coding
> the JIRAs that involve new features as "later" or even "won't fix".  Please
> feel free to comment.
I prefer to move the issue to the next milestone or release if I'm not
sure that it will not break stability of the product and we are in
"near release" phase.

Probably it's time to create some release plan :)
I think it will make many things much easier. If we will have a list
of features for release and release date it will be much easier to
decide do we want to apply the fix or postpone it to the next release.

So let's start this discussion?

SY, Alexey