harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general][testing] need a piece of advise: how we can handle VM crashes
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:38:36 GMT
Vladimir,

>From my perspective detecting crashes during a test run of class
library tests is quite important:

* Stress loads and rare execution paths lead to VM crashes which
should be fixed if we could modify VM code base or avoided by means of
a workaround.

* Harmony class library contains a fair amount of native code. The bug
in native code usually leads to a crash, and class library tests
should guarantee we detect this problem early.

I think this is a good requirement to the build system, and it is
timely requirement since another thread is discussing changes in a
test launch procedure right now [1].

I can reproduce the issue you are describing. Ant prints warnings
about corrupted XML, but doesn't report failed status. The code [2]
shows we cannot expect more from the latest ant implementation. We
either need to fix ant, or double check for corrupted XML reports.

I've examined a double check at [3]. Do I understand correctly that
<antcall target="check-crashes" /> actually should call <target
name="check-length">? Is it possible to replace a message "crash?"
with actual VM crash log?

1.http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/harmony-dev/200611.mbox/%3cc30d70960611281010u45f064cbhcb571aa3bb39fa43@mail.gmail.com%3e
2.http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/junit/XMLResultAggregator.java?view=markup
3.http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2349