harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti][testing] I want to add JVMTI tests to drlvm commit checks
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:02:08 GMT
Gregory,
I have checked the patch. I like it. Here are few notes.

 * When I used ant there were no <for> tag [1]. I used autogenerated
ant files to run something in a loop. Solution with <for> takes less
place and is more readable.
 * From my perspective 3 min timeout for a smoke test should be
decreased. I think there should be no stress/reliaiblity loads during
acceptance testing. The reason is simple: complex loads demonstrate
unpredicable behavior and do not reveal problems with 100% accuracy,
so the bad patch pass such acceptance tests sooner or later.
 * As for TestNG concern, I don't think we need to stick to the
harness. When the time comes, we will change the harness painlessly.

1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-user/200410.mbox/%3COF8CC74784.BD58C762-ON80256F24.0036DE55-80256F24.003D7542@db.com%3E

On 11/10/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:24 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > That's an understatement. Don't feel bad. I've never seen anything
> > like it before. The idea of generating ant scripts on teh fly is very
> > unconventional.

> > You don't have enough cuts and bruises from working with the DRLVM build :)
>
> Ok I think I've come up with a reasonable compromise. I still used the whole
> system of converting XML and all the stuff. It does quite a lot of things in
> setup and init targets and using <select> is convenient. I don't know how to
> untangle all of the setup and not do a lot of duplication in ant scripting
> which I am not big expert in.
>
> But I managed to cut away the loop over components looking at how "test"
> target in build.xml is written. I've also converted smoke.test target to the
> same way because both jvmti and smoke tests are meant for a whole VM, not
> some component of it. This also made a weird bug go away when of smoke tests
> were built and run in some random subdirectory of "semis" instead of being
> in "vm" when they were ran separately as "build smoke.test".
>
> Tests should be in their own subdirectories (main test inclusion/exclusion
> loop is done over them), main Java class for application has to be equal to
> have package and name equal to its subdirectory. Otherwise the build system
> won't know what to run. Other files may have any kind of names.
>
> I wrote one simple JVMTI test to start the suite. Other tests which I've
> experimented with I cannot submit because I didn't write them. I think
> they'll appear later from JIRAs like one in HARMONY-2143 which were submitted
> to ASF. Take a look at HARMONY-2151 and say what you think. If I don't get
> much opposition I'll commit the patch on this weekend.
>
> Don't shoot me. Writing even that much of Ant took a lot of time, beer and
> hair on my head. I said I am not an ant guru, didn't I?
>
> --

Thank you,
Alexei