harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] General stability
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:01:18 GMT
On 11/8/06, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If we want to have "unnamed" milestones, the solution could be: every
> last
> > month of a quoter is a "stability" period. No new features are accepted
> during
> > this period. This could work for a long period of time without need
> > in additional discussions.
> But we need to define what is stability in this case. Unit tests? It's
> a precommit criteria and should not fail always.
> Big applications? Which applications? Which scenarios?
> If we adds some new features then application list should increase.
> This needs discussions and so no....

I propose making this discussion only once and derive a solution that works
for a long time.
The global releases we will have Java5, Java6 are something special.
The minor releases could be done automatically without additional
discussions: for example we can release a snapshot every quoter.
If the trunk is frozen for new features (the last month of every quoter) the
only way to contribute is to fix bugs/improve quality of existing code. IMO
any applications and any tests could be used here. Unit tests or some
application tests could be announced as showstoppers for release, of course.

--
Mikhail Fursov