harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] General stability
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:01:18 GMT
On 11/8/06, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If we want to have "unnamed" milestones, the solution could be: every
> last
> > month of a quoter is a "stability" period. No new features are accepted
> during
> > this period. This could work for a long period of time without need
> > in additional discussions.
> But we need to define what is stability in this case. Unit tests? It's
> a precommit criteria and should not fail always.
> Big applications? Which applications? Which scenarios?
> If we adds some new features then application list should increase.
> This needs discussions and so no....

I propose making this discussion only once and derive a solution that works
for a long time.
The global releases we will have Java5, Java6 are something special.
The minor releases could be done automatically without additional
discussions: for example we can release a snapshot every quoter.
If the trunk is frozen for new features (the last month of every quoter) the
only way to contribute is to fix bugs/improve quality of existing code. IMO
any applications and any tests could be used here. Unit tests or some
application tests could be announced as showstoppers for release, of course.

Mikhail Fursov