harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Is it time to say goodbye to dear friend GC v4?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:42:51 GMT

> From that argument, I'm now against dropping GCv4, if you actually get
> use out of it for verification of threading or other important issues.
>
> Yes, you can always take older revisions, but that's a pain, and if that
> is a "speedbump" that prevents you from doing those extra tests or
> verifications, I'd rather keep it around as a convenience for you. :)
>
> Seriously - if you need it, lets keep it.

I have an idea:
The is an incubation process to accept new projects to Apache. Why not to
introduce something like "farewell" process in Harmony that is "reversed
incubation" :) ?
So the idea is: we all agree that ComponentX is out of date and we should
drop it. We can announce that we will drop it in a N months. This will be a
signal for everyone to remove any dependencies (like we have today for GCv4)
in other components during this period.

If it is OK we can say that we drop GCv4 in 01/2007 and leave it in the
trunk without additional support today .

--
Mikhail Fursov