harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor - CHECKPOINT
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:23:00 GMT
On 11/3/06, Etienne Gagnon <egagnon@sablevm.org> wrote:

> Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> > Good point! I think Java1.2 classes format is a reason to move J2ME
> > development into separate branch.
> > The only usecase for preprocessor is left (correct me if I miss
> something)
> > is Java6 changes.
> > ?
>
> a) This is "class format"...  AFAIK, you can use generics for
> development, but compile with -target=1.2 or something like it, no?
>
> b) If I'm wrong in a), then what if you wanted additional branches of
> harmony: j2se1.4, j2me (classformat1.2)?  Then using the proposed tool
> would be IMO preferable to using completely distinct svn branches for
> these.
>

> Etienne

Yes,
it's possible to write J2ME applications using Java5 syntax with
generics and use
special compiler to compile it to Java1.2 format.
My position here is:
1) Let's ask volunteers/gurus who do JavaXYZ port what is more convenient
for them
2) The idea with Preprocessor (I mean your version with a special 2-way
tool) is very good and scalable until you do not have diffs in almost every
line.
3) Today we have a lot of changes in classlib: ~100 commits per day. Merging
of branches is almost unreal. Maybe in the future situation will change
because we will have more stable
code. Maybe not: we can have 10 times more developers! Let's wait and
will see :)

--
Mikhail Fursov