harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][Helper inlining] GC write barrier inline?
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:45:25 GMT
Mikhail,

> Xiao-Feng,

> >     /* NOS (nursery object space) is higher in address than other spaces.
> >        The boundary currently is produced in GC initialization. It can
> > be a constant in future.*/
> >     public static final Address NOS_BOUNDARY = getNosBoundary();
>

> JIT inlines static final fields values as consts into the code for
> initialized classes today. So it's OK to initialize it on startup.

Yes. And to use a compile time constant in future can be covered by
this solution. I mean we can change the helper without bothering you
again. :-)

> The important issue we need to discuss is that JIT does not know the details
> of implementation of any VM helper. It only knows the semantic of it's
> arguments. You wrote 2 args for the helper. Is it a general case?

Yes, in this case, the VM helper function is only for fast native
invocation. What it needs for JIT is the same as other VM helpers,
i.e., to emit fast native invocation without the M2N stuff.

> Another issue is the date to start this work (I mean adding support for this
> helper inlining to JIT). I can start this work only next week. Is it OK for
> you?

It's perfect! And I belive it's only a piece of cake to you. :-)

Thanks,
xiaofeng