harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][PORT] correct API to retrieve processor number
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:51:11 GMT

> Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> > Hi, I am using port_CPUs_number() for GCv5 to get the processor
> > number, but my desktop returns one processor with it on Windows
> > although my processor is dual-core. (port_CPUs_number is defined in
> > port_sysinfo.h).
> >
> > I think we need more general form of processor number retrieval API
> > that can return processor information including that of core and
> > hyperthreading.
> >
> > How do you think?
>
> I chuckled when I first read this, as if people would disagree - "no, I
> don't think we want to have an API to return accurate information about
> hardware capability".
>
> One thing to keep in mind is to ensure that it's extensible so that
> non-intel features can be detected as well.  Easy portability is key.

Of course, since this is only an API issue. It will cover the
vendor-specific information underneath. Along with more and more
multi-processor/multi-core/multi-thread platforms available from
almost all major processor vendors, it is time to have a proper API
for the runtime, unless we give the burden to users with command line
options. Well even that, programming-wise we want an API to keep the
command line options.

Thanks,
xiaofeng