harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivanov, Alexey A" <alexey.a.iva...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [classlib][test] isHarmony method in the swing tests
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:30:21 GMT
Mikhail,

Here it's not a temporary solution.

javax.swing.text.PlainViewI18N is for bidirectional text support. It is
a package-private class, and it's not present in public API spec.

Sun doesn't reveal its implementation of bidirectional text. I guess
it's fully implemented yet: there are problems with it. What I can
remember at once is you can't go through all the text using right or
left arrows on keyboard because the caret jumps back.

In general this method is used to differentiate our implementation from
Sun. These differences are intentional. To make the tests pass both on
RI and Harmony, it is checked which classlib is used. Also looking at
the tests one sees the expected difference.

Regards,
Alexey.

P.S. We can get rid of using this method and sort out the tests to
separate implementation specific tests, but it requires lots of effort.
On the other hand, some tests will lose the information about the
difference. Subsequent releases of Java may change the behavior and
we'll see it because of failing tests. This way we can adjust our
implementation to the new RI impl.

--
Alexey A. Ivanov