harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivanov, Alexey A" <alexey.a.iva...@intel.com>
Subject [classlib][swing] Serialization of Swing classes
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:32:16 GMT
Nathan, all,

You shouldn't add explicit serialVersionUID because Sun explicitly states that serialized
form of Swing classes maybe incompatible with future Swing releases. And there's no description
of serialized form for any Swing class.

I'm pretty sure Harmony is not compatible with Sun classes with regard to serialized from
of Swing classes. And new fields can be added to a class or removed, which will break the
serialized form.

See the Warning in JTree JavaDoc: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/swing/JTree.html

The serialVersionUID declarations were intentionally missed.

Regards,
Alexey.

P.S. Thanks for cleaning up the code to use parameterized types where possible.
I've looked through j.s.BasicSwingTestCase and restricted the type parameter, as well as refactored
the code accessing Swing components so that it always runs on the Event Dispatch Thread. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2078.

Also I've cleaned up some classes where I fixed bugs:

Alexey A. Ivanov
Intel Enterprise Solutions Software Division