harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] JUnit consistency, practices
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 04:20:00 GMT
On 11/29/06, Nathan Beyer wrote:

> There is a large amount of inconsistency across the tests and I'd like
> to lobby for cleaning them up as much as possible. I'm of the opinion
> that test code should be clean, simple and transparent. Here are some
> of the more noticeable items that I'd like to cleanup.
>
> * Empty setUp/teardown methods - There are a number of tests that
> override setUp and/or teardown methods, but are either empty or just
> call the super implementation.

+1 for cleaning

* Singleton suite methods - There are some tests that contain a static
> "suite" method that creates a TestSuite and adds one test (the test
> class it's declared in). Are there any practical uses for these
> methods? TestSuites are for grouping together tests to treat them as
> one unit. Since these suites are just one test, it doesn't seem to
> provide much value.

+1 for cleaning

* main method launching text runner - There are some tests that
> contain "main" methods which run the enclosing test via a JUnit text
> runner. Most IDEs have built-in support for JUnit and can launch any
> test arbitrarily and Ant can do the same thing. Does anyone launch
> tests via these methods?

Sometimes I launch them via "main" method so I'd like to have it in tests.

Thanks,
Stepan.

My proposal would be to clean up these inconsistencies by eliminating