harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r472115 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/swing/src/main/java/common/javax/swing/text/GapContent.java
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 06:46:59 GMT
On 11/8/06, Ivanov, Alexey A wrote:

> [...]

To summarize my position: I see no value in discussing compatibility issues
on harmony-dev if a discussion doesn't have any outcome (JIRA to document a
difference or a regression test to fix implementation behavior).

In our case evaluation of HARMONY-1809 and HARMONY-1975 showed a
difference with RI. So we should fix/document it. Does this fit to
'Good Issue Resolution Guideline'?

If a volunteer wants to make Harmony implementation of
> GapContent.replace() compatible with RI, they will provide many tests -
> to test all invalid and edge situations to ensure the behaviour is
> *compatible* - along with patch. And I see no reason to stop them.

Sure, no reason to stop.

(However, I believe a volunteer will search JIRA for GapContent before
> starting this work. And then they face this bug.)
>
> On the other hand, I hardly imagine an application depends on this
> functionality. That's why I haven't fixed it myself.

IMHO, an assumption that there is no such application is not a reason for
not documenting the difference.

> >In our case we decided not to follow RI and do nothing for invalid
> >parameters. So a regression test should verify that Harmony silently
> >ignores
> >bad parameters.
>
> It may make sense.

>From my experience it always makes sense to add a test (even simple and