harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] APR latest release is 1.2.7, we're using 1.2.6. Should we switch?
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:05:11 GMT
On 11/23/06, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Gregory, the locks/win32/thread_cond.c was fixed in HARMONY-1519 on 4
> >Oct. The current patch is definitely more correct than the official
> >version (apparently based on the previous patch). Don't know who
> >submitted old patched to APR - Artem Aliev? At least he might have
> >more complete clue...

1519 was a good fix for conditional variable emulation on Windows and I
think was worth submitting back to the apr project. But once we have started
making this type of changes, it is harder to upgrade to newer versions
directly. Testing 1.2.7 is a good idea, they would have more bug fixes. If
good, we could consider moving to 1.2.7 and reapplying our few patches.
On Linux, APR seems to just delegate to the POSIX api's and works well, but
I think we will discover more fixes on Windows. So we will have to
conscientiously keep submitting back ( and hope that they make it ) or move
away from apr. As such, I don't think that apr is adding a lot of value.