harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] release vs. debug
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:05:04 GMT

> >Actually it is more than that. In debug mode TRACE statements are
> >compiled and therefore produce executable code. There may also be some
> >bugs in compiler generating code in different modes (although this
> >usually happens for release).
>
> >I don't know why hanging happens, but the difference in generated code
> >is actually quite big.

Yes. The code generated differs because the optimization levels are quite
different between debug and release builds. Eg., no code motion happens on
debug build code since the debugger needs to map it back. True, the
generated code size is usually way bigger in debug builds. At least on
Windows, the PE files have more debug info, and actually there is less and
less in the external symbol files ( pdb ) and more and more in the exe's.
It's a trend, and over time, I think pdb's will disappear.

.

> >> debug :)  don't sweep the problems under the rug...
>
> >+1

debug for commit testing, and both release and debug for presubmission
testing hopefully :-)