harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Is it time to say goodbye to dear friend GC v4?
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:29:28 GMT
Since we have accepted GCV4.1 as the default and GCV5 as the development GC
based on several list discussions, I think that we may be OK with announcing
that GCv4 is deprecated, and maybe taken out of the active tree by end of
2006?

Patches that are still coming in that only work with GCV4, probably began
development quite a while ago ... since the default code does not pick up
GCV4, I am not sure how they are passing acceptance tests, unless their
functionality is not covered by the existing tests. Anyway, this is risky
IMHO, since as soon as we add the right test to the acceptance suite, the
functionality will fail( since we will only run tests with default paths ).
Anyway, announcing deprecation will only help, IMHO. Thanks for bringing
this up.

Rana