harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] APR latest release is 1.2.7, we're using 1.2.6. Should we switch?
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:03:24 GMT
After reading an excellent survey (
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/win32-cv-1.html)on implementing posix-style
condition variables on windowsxp,  its not clear that being dependent on any
external posix-to-win32 wrapper is acceptable for Harmony.  If this paper is
correct, it looks rather tricky to correctly implement condition variables
on windows.  My take on the whole subject is that Harmony needs to fix
and/or morph some "condition variable on win32" thingy.  Its OK if the
"thingy" happens to be APR.  But I would not let APR slow Harmony down.  To
do condition variables per the paper, the APR code base may change a bunch.
Its unclear if the APR crowd will want to incorporate such mods.  I lean
towards dumping APR.

--
Weldon Washburn