harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Ozhdikhin" <pavel.ozhdik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] a few early benchmarks
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 06:11:59 GMT
On 11/25/06, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> Pavel Ozhdikhin wrote:
>
> > In server_static mode optimizations are based solely on heuristics while
> in
> > server mode the dynamic optimization framework is employed.
> > In server_static mode methods are compiled only once by the optimizing
> > Jitrino.OPT compiler.
> > In server mode there is recompilation scheme: first time a method
> compiled
> > using fast optimizations and instrumenting the code to gather edge
> profile
> > information at runtime. When the profile is ready the method is
> > recompiled with agressive optimizations using the edge profile
> information.
>
> BTW, is it possible to change this behavior from the command line or I
> have to recompile the VM?

Yep, it's possible to set  the execution mode from the command line with the
'-Xem' switch.

> in any case, are there instructions on how to trigger different
> execution behavior on the VM some where in our docos/wikis?

There is some info here:
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/DrlvmCommandLineOptions

And more information about configuring the Execution Manager (em) and
pre-defined configurations:
http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/drlvm/emguide.html

Thanks,
Pavel