harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Ozhdikhin" <pavel.ozhdik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][em] Value-profiling implementation is avaible.
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 13:14:55 GMT
Yuri,

Generally your patch is a good piece of code and I think we'll easily get
through all minor problems with code style, tabs etc. Now let's try to get
it working with the EM and JIT.

The latest patch new_value_profiler.zip applied smoothly but It can't run
any profile-guided mode because it assumes only value profiler type:

if (vpalgo == "TNV_DIVIDED") {

vpMode = ValueProfileCollector::TNV_DIVIDED;

} else if (vpalgo != "TNV_FIRST_N") {

ECHO("EM: unsupported value profiler algotype");

return NULL;

}
here is what I have on windows in default and server modes (which use method
and edge profile correspondingly):

EM: unsupported value profiler algotype
EM: profile configuration failed: EB_PROF
Cannot instantiate EM
HMYEXEL062E Internal VM error: Failed to create Java VM
FAILED to invoke JVM.

I beleive this problem is easy to fix. the further step would be to make
this profile available for the JIT. We need to implement the instrumenting
pass in the JIT which would insert code updating profile at the call sites
for virtual calls. Would you like to implement this pass?

Thanks,
Pavel