harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [build] Classlib is not buildable with the common javac. Is it correct?
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:05:30 GMT

Nataly Naumova wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Recently I've found out that our classlib is not buildable with the
> common javac's. I've tested with SUN and Bea ones, and the result was
> negative. The log is :

[snip]

> It seems that there is a bug in Eclipse compiler. If we bring the
> second situation to the simplier one there will be a small testcase
> here :

[snip]

> These sources are successfully compiled by ejc.jar, but cause the
> compile-time error with SUN or BEA javac -

(because they are the same, IIRC)

> ####
> C.java:3: reference to remove is ambiguous, both method remove(A<?>)
> in B and method remove(C.D) in C match
>        remove(new D());
>        ^
> 1 error
> ###
>
> The question is: Is such situation applicable for Harmony? If no -
> should we file a bug against Eclipse compiler?

Yes, I think we should file a bug, but more importantly, I'm not
comfortable with being unable to build with javac - which javac were ou
testing with?  There was a bug in Javac a while back, which is why we
switched over to use ECJ, IIRC.

If this is the case - that it's reflective of a bug in Javac - then we
should probably simply note which versions of sun javac to avoid.

geir