harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject [drlvm/classlib/jdktools] system property o.a.h.boot.class.path
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:35:53 GMT
(How's that for a category in the subject line?)

I'm working on jdktools, and was getting javac going.  We have a small
issue.  Currently, the wrapper code grabs the boot class path via the
system property

     org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path

This is initially set by luni, which collects all the entries in
bootclasspath.properties and adds them to the path.

Now, the one thing that it doesn't do is include the kernel.jar, as
that's a degree of freedom for the vm which provides that jar.

Now, in DRLVM, we take the o.a.h.b.c.p and prefix the kernel.jar, prefix
and postfix -Xbootclasspath/? for a complete runtime bootclasspath, and
call it

     vm.boot.class.path

I had to modify the javac wrapper to use this rather than o.a.h.b.c.p.

We need to change something - either we can suggest that VMs modify the
value of o.a.h.b.c.p, or create a new one -  formally declare something
like

    o.a.h.vm.boot.class.path

as a standard property for this purpose.

I prefer the latter - it keeps it cleaner, and makes it easy to figure
out what the VM is glomming on.

If we agree, I'll do the switch in DRLVM and javac.  There should be no
changes required elsewhere.

geir