harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][tests] Refactoring breakage
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:44:16 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> After looking through the logs. It seems these 'accessibility' tests
> were just added around Aug 3rd. The Eclipse IDE artifacts aren't even
> updated to reflect their existence. Prior to this the tests were in
> the "awt_swing_modules".
>
> Looking at the tests, most of them don't even use the functionality in
> the BasicSwingTestCase. Some do use a few of the inner classes of
> BasicSwingTestCase, but these should really be factored out, as they
> are completely independent. I'm going to go through these tests and
> clean them up to be as isolated as the module is.

ack -- I was going to let you go in and fix things, but consensus was
that the breakage was holding things up so we did a partial rollback.

Thanks for looking into it again and doing the right thing.  The tidy-up
work is great.

> Also, the 'support' project's manifest isn't exporting all of the it's
> packagings, so the other project's can't see the classes, at least
> within the Eclipse IDE. If the OSGi manifests and the Eclipse
> artifacts aren't going to be maintained, should we just get rid of
> them? The only place they are used is inside of Eclipse for
> developers.

Keep them because it is our rigorous definition of the class library
modularity.  I agree that it is hard to keep them up to date if you are
not using an IDE that understands this stuff, which is why I wrote the
manifest checker tool.  I'm trying to get it to Stefano to report status
on melody for all to see.  The longer term vision, as discussed a while
ago is to use the modularity info at runtime to allow implementation
hiding and versioning.

Regards,
Tim

--