harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [jdktools] svn commit r479920 - build and src tree
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:24:00 GMT

Ilya Neverov wrote:
> Hi Geir,
>
> I eventually managed to build 'jdktools' created in your commit [1] in
> context of harmony-hdk-r468731 but the 'test' target failed - will try
> to resolve tomorrow.

I don't think they work - it's still a work in progress.  I was going to
do a little more today and update to the list.  I was working last night
based on your patch, but was really just hacking around.

I didn't understand some of what you were trying to accomplish in your
patch, so I figured I'd try some myself to grok how things come
together.  For example, I couldn't see why things were being done in
"working_jdktools", since in jdktools/trunk, we should have everything
setup, and use the switch trick in the federated build.

> I'd like to understand future evolution of the 'jdktools' - could you
> please comment the items below.
>
> 1) Do we need separate jdk/lib/tools.jar and jdk/jre/lib/jretools.jar?
> I guess it's too early to think about separate Harmony-jre bundle so
> all jdktools can yet go into single tools.jar.

Right, and copy to both places or something for now.

> 2) Do we need a possibility to build/test jdktools without building
> classlib (using harmony-hdk bundles) ? This feature can be useful for
> people who want to work with some tool sources only.

yes, it's that way already -  the current mode requires a -Dhy.hdk=
param to ant to get it to work as I didnt' think i was far enough to
integrate yet.

My thought was that this would be designed for use by default in the
federated build (so it would just reach over to the known location of
the working_classlib), but easily overridable w/ a property.

> 3) Do we need selective build feature like '-Dbuild.module= ' for
> classlib. Again it will be very useful for people working for example
> on jdwp/ module.

We could add that, or just go into the module and type "ant".  If we can
avoid the requirement to always run top level build w/ a -Dbuild.module
I'd like to.  Time will tell.

> I'm going to proceed with current state of the jdktools/ sources to
> provide features 2) and 3) and it would be nice to know your plans in
> this area.

Sure!  And I'm interested in what you think of what's there.  It's
exactly modeled after what I thought you were doing, although I probably
did a bit of "rip and shred" to simplify, and probably missed important
details.  Please let me know what you think.

Today I was going to add JDWP and see how to integrate it...

geir