harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] longer term roadmap
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:13:49 GMT

Paulex Yang wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>

>> Paulex Yang wrote:
>>> I'm not sure, but I thought we can only release 5.0_01 if Sun didn't
>>> have 5.1?
>>
>> Why not?
>>
>> There is a version of the spec, and a version of the implementation,
>> which are different.
> If so, I prefer to Harmony 1.0(SE 5.0 compatible), 1.1(SE 5.0 compatible
> with performance enhancement) just like what Geronmo does, rather than
> 5.0, 5.1, which is confusing.

I think we should consider 5.0, 5.1 simply for marketing reasons and
clarity.

If I tell you that I'm running my program under "Harmony 5.1.2", you
know exactly what spec version of Java I'm using, so you don't have to
do the math to figure it out.  Yeah, it's easy for 5, but once we have
7, that will have things like "Harmony 3.2.1" ?

I think it might make it easier for users.

geir