harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [performance] a few early benchmarks
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:05:49 GMT

Mikhail Loenko wrote:

> Not sure that when we elect an official benchmark we should take
> into account whether it's open or not. IMHO we should base our
> decision on how close it to the real life and how many people are
> interested in it

I agree for the latter - people are (for reasons I never grok)
interested in SPEC benchmark results, so I think we definitely need to
keep the eye on the ball for that one.

You will have a lot of trouble convincing me that SPEC benchmarks are
close to "real life", because if we're seeing SPECjbb results of around
100% of Sun SE 5, and then Dacapo showing us 40% of 'best', there seems
to be a problem.

geir