harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][awt] Test failure
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:06:40 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Oleg Khaschansky wrote:
>>> Do you suggest to introduce the error handling for all the wrappers or
>>> only for this one? If for all, do you think if it will affect the
>>> performance?
>>
>> I was thinking of something like this.  In the non-error case it would
>> add an additional NULL check as the function address is being cached,
>> and no additional overhead after the cache has been populated.
>>
>> The actual exception thrown is open to debate.\
>
> :)
>
> I don't understand the context - in the event of this fault, is it time
> to simply shut down?  Or is this survivable?  My understanding is that
> you just don't want to see a GPF.

I don't know at this level if it is survivable or not.  The native
contract is to call that function, if I can't then I'll just throw an
exception.  If it is handled as survivable in the Java code then fine,
otherwise it will cause a sane termination.

> Either way, how about a hint - like "missing libxmu" or similar?

I don't know the cause, so the exception will just describe the effect.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)