harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: EclipseCon 2007
Date Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:53:46 GMT

Jin Mingjian wrote:
> geir:
>
> The Harmony will be retargeted to certified JDK 6 or higher?

Yes.  The suggested scheme is :

1) Java SE 5 in mid-year 2007

2) Java SE 6 end of 2007

3) Java SE 7 whenever Sun does Java SE 7

I'll add this to the roadmap so people don't wonder.

> Do you
> have more plan after "Q2 2007 : Apache Harmony SE 5 JDK and JRE
> released"? I don't think it is a good idea to go behind Sun.

We have to.  When we started this, there was no option other than Java
SE 5.  So we'll finish that, and use it as the platform to build Java SE 6.

> Harmony
> may do many enhancement in other aspects. But some one may say you are
> doing "fork"....

We're not forking Java - we're doing compatible implementations.

geir