harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Getting more real JAPI results
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:32:12 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> There is a simple way to make japi happy and show those nice 100% green
>> bars: write a stub method and throw a runtime exception when invoked.
>> Unfortunately, it's not going to fool the TCK or, worse, it's not going
>> to please our users when they get RuntimeException telling them that
>> their app won't run because the method is not implemented.
> Why would you want to do this?  Having JAPI tell us what's not done is
> the point of JAPI, right?
> (Although I'm a compassionate and caring person, I'll admit I'm not
> worried about making JAPI happy...)

I read Stefano's post as "although we /can/ fool JAPI ny creating stubs
we /should not/ do so"

>> I've written a script that uses brute force across the entire classlib
>> to figure out if a method was not implemented, the result can be found
>> at:
>> as of today, there are 615 methods (mostly in swing, awt, imageio and
>> sound) that are not implemented, in 64 different classes
> Cool!  But I'm misunderstanding something - why are we fooling JAPI?

Today we are fooling it because there are some stubs in Harmony classlib
code.  We need to remove them / flag them to make the JAPI results more

>> I propose that we change all those exception into
>> o.a.h.luni.util.NotImplementeException so that JAPI can pick them up and
>> show us real results and we do it sooner rather than later.
>> Thoughts?
> I don't understand why we're fooling JAPI.  I'll read the rest of this
> thread (was offline yesterday for thanksgiving holiday here in the US...)

Hopefully you can see how we are now, and that we don't want to continue
doing so.

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

View raw message