harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Getting more real JAPI results
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:32:12 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> There is a simple way to make japi happy and show those nice 100% green
>> bars: write a stub method and throw a runtime exception when invoked.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it's not going to fool the TCK or, worse, it's not going
>> to please our users when they get RuntimeException telling them that
>> their app won't run because the method is not implemented.
>
> Why would you want to do this?  Having JAPI tell us what's not done is
> the point of JAPI, right?
>
> (Although I'm a compassionate and caring person, I'll admit I'm not
> worried about making JAPI happy...)

I read Stefano's post as "although we /can/ fool JAPI ny creating stubs
we /should not/ do so"

>> I've written a script that uses brute force across the entire classlib
>> to figure out if a method was not implemented, the result can be found
>> at:
>>
>>  http://67.86.14.213:10000/results/latest/notimplemented.html
>>
>> as of today, there are 615 methods (mostly in swing, awt, imageio and
>> sound) that are not implemented, in 64 different classes
>
> Cool!  But I'm misunderstanding something - why are we fooling JAPI?

Today we are fooling it because there are some stubs in Harmony classlib
code.  We need to remove them / flag them to make the JAPI results more
'honest'.

<snip>

>> I propose that we change all those exception into
>> o.a.h.luni.util.NotImplementeException so that JAPI can pick them up and
>> show us real results and we do it sooner rather than later.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I don't understand why we're fooling JAPI.  I'll read the rest of this
> thread (was offline yesterday for thanksgiving holiday here in the US...)

Hopefully you can see how we are now, and that we don't want to continue
doing so.

Regards,
Tim

--