harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][win32] Kernel tests crashes on win32
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 03:04:58 GMT

Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 03:01 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>> I've added that test to the exclusion lists for windows.
>
> Yes I noticed. I am actually surprised that it has helped. It appears that
> just one test causes the crash. In my investigation I was quite sure that the
> problem appears because of GC or finalization, so the crash should be
> happening in the subsequent tests on GC. Maybe this test just triggers the
> problem... I'm still working on trying to figure out.

I managed to get it to hang under windows in the interpreter.  I'll try
and figure that out later.

As to triggering... I dunno - this is hard.  The damage could easily
have been caused long before the problematic test case, and the test
that crashes things is just simply showing the damage.

Thanks for sticking with this.

>> We can now run complete so can start monitoring for regressions (as well
>> as fix the breakage for the tests that are excluded...)
>
> The reason why I didn't want to exclude gc.LOS was that is works just fine on
> windows 2003 server, hangs only on XP (threading in kernels seems to be quite
> different in them, there is also a known difference between windows 2003
> server and windows 2003 server SP1). But excluding on such platform selection
> was not possible and still isn't. So I hoped that the test would be rather
> fixed than excluded. However I agree that a test which fails for several
> months already shouldn't stand in the way and excluding it even for all types
> of windows is the right thing.

If we can somehow distinguish between 2003 and XP, we can exclude using
these exclude lists now.

> Let's not allow any regressions again. But introducing test failures even
> without changing the tests themself should not be done unannounced and
> undiscussed. I was about to revert a JIRA patch when I saw tests crash on
> windows with new mode.

Huh?

geir